Now and then
Photo comparison of buildings now and then.
Kydds Grocer (now Kash 22)
JG Kydd & Co, Grocers & Provision Merchants, Church Street, in the late 1930's. Kydd's at this time was the epitome of a successful grocer's shop, using no less than three modern delivery vans. The plethora of advertisments is unlikely to meet with planning approval these days!
Bear's Paw 1
Bear's Paw Coronation
Bear's Paw Hotel, Coronation Day, 1911. This old coaching inn built in 1612, was where mail was collected and despatched before the Post Office came into being. Its name derived from the bear's paw in the coat of arms of the Savage family, Lords of the Manor of Frodsham from the early seventeenth century. Although it's a lion, not a bear!
With the arrival of the railway, it became the Bear's Paw & Railway Hotel until about 1905. The Youd family had it for many years and a cattle market was held on Wednesdays in the yard at the rear.
Frodsham Railway Station
Frodsham station, c.1900. The railway station was a busy when the 20th century dawned. Cattle, potatoes, cheese and all manner of agricultural produce was exported through the goods yard. There was also sidings at the top of Station Road and a busy commuter service ran to Liverpool, Chester and Manchester. The station canopy has long since gone, though the iron bridge still stands. Whilst cattle are no longer allowed on Transport for Wales carriages, you can still re-live that historic packed-in-like-cattle feeling by taking any early morning train to Manchester.
The railways bridge is currently being refurbished. The scafolding will be removed over 5 nights beginning 10th February.
Frodsham Railway Goods shed
Flower and Pump Cottages, C.1900. Situated at the junction of School Lane and Hillside Road - which was then known as Back Lane - are these two cottages. Flower cottage still remains todat, but Pump Cottage and its pump have long since gone. The Frodsham Endowed Boys' school and Overton School House can just be seen in the background.
Moor Lane Car Park
Moor Lane car park entrance sign 2009 and 2019. Vale Royal was a local government district with borough status in Cheshire. It took its name from Vale Royal Abbey, formerly one of the largest in England, which was situated near the village of Whitegate near the centre of the district. Vale Royal was abolished on 1 April 2009, when the new Cheshire West and Chester unitary authority was formed.